Friday, May 19, 2006

OT: 'Aint No Mountain High Enough?

Well, my wanderlust is getting the better of me again, so I'm off to the High Atlas mountains of Morocco next week to climb Jbel Toubkal with Lise, maybe sneaking in an extra diversion to Lac D'Ifni on the way down, depending on how well we cope with the altitude.

Needless to say, there's not going to be much connectivity on the edge of the Sahara at 4000m high, so I'll be offline and thoroughly enjoying the free and easy nomadic existence for the week.

This is our first time above about 2000m altitude, so we chose a non-technical mountain to see how we get on with possible Altitude Sickness. I remember feeling distinctly dizzy in Slovenia as we approached the top of KomarĨe, and that's not even particularly high - mind you, I think that's more likely due to me giving my head an almighty crack on the roof of a cave. Note to self: next time you are running through a cave, looking where you are going is a good idea ! I'm dreading going bald - I've had that many bumps on the head, you'll be able to play Noughts and Crosses in the scar tissue on my scalp...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the photos on Flickr.

Have a great time (and hopefully a bumpless one).

Anonymous said...

I crossed the Atlas range last summer in a Jeep, and I can tell you it's pretty steep in some places. Be careful! (we are currently missing a Swede on Everest)

Alistair Davidson said...

Ahh, thanks for the concern, but we'll be fine, I'm sure. I've heard Toubkal described as "Snowdon On Steroids" - there's going to be some scrambling up loose scree, and there should still be snow on the top 300m or so, but mostly it's just the altitude that makes it difficult.