Wednesday, May 31, 2006

...And Thanks For All The Fish

I've been a Senior Developer here at Headshift for a little over two years now, and over that time I've learned an awful lot about social software, met some very smart people, made some good friends, and grown as a person myself, too. (ick - cheesey, but you know what I mean, I hope)

However, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about my future career direction, and where I want to be in X years time, etc.... and I've decided it's time to move on.

So, from next month, I'm going to be a hardcore Java bod at Trampoline Systems, a small startup with big plans, who are doing some very interesting things with email...

Of course, moving to full-time Java means that I won't be using CF in my day-to-day work, so I'll be less involved in the CF community here - *sniff*, and I'll probably have far fewer CF-relevant things to spout off about in this blog.

So I have a decision to make - do I start a new, exclusively Java-related blog to try and keep this one on-topic, or should I keep posting my random missives here and let you guys take me off your feed readers if you decide the increasingly Java-heavy content means it's no longer relevant?

Personally, I'm leaning towards the second option, but I'll throw it over to you guys - anyone have a strong opinion either way?

Anyway, to borrow a classic phrase from the dolphins, So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish. One of the things that "everybody knows" about CF is the dedication of the community, and their willingess to help with any problem, small or large. It's going to be a bit of a wrench to leave it behind. Hopefully I'll make it to the CFUG tomorrow night - if I do, the first pint is on me :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting the random missives! don't forget some of your java stuff might be helpful to the CF community still. Good luck in the new role!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's a shocker. Didn't see that coming.

Well good luck with everything. You'll be missed from the CF community here.

When do you start?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think we would all still be very much interested in life after CF (is there life? ;-)) ... we will be expecting many "doing this in ColdFusion would be so easy" type posts! I would imagine there are people in the community who do a bit of both so stick around!

Kola

Alistair Davidson said...

Yeah, I'm thoroughly expecting the early posts to be full of things like:

"dammit, I miss <CFQUERY>!"

gradually changing to things like:

"hey, wow, inheritance and polymorphism - they actually WORK...!

Hehe... I think there's enough crossover between CF and Java to keep blogging here. Stay tuned :)